Enabling & Using the Network Time Protocol on an Embedded EC-BOS AX
An Embedded EC-BOSAX runs the QNX operating system, and includes models using the NPM2 and NPM6 processor boards (EC-BOS-2AX and EC-BOS-6AX series), among others. These EC-BOSAX controllers differ from units based on the Windows operating system, like the EC-BOS-NXSAX, or a Soft EC-BOSAX.
Open a station connection to the EC-BOSAX.
The NTP Service for QNX is available under the PlatformServices container located in the EC-BOSAX station’s “Services” container. See Figure 1.
Figure 1 NtpPlatformServiceQnx.
· Double-click the NtpPlatformSeriviceQnx entry to activate the NTP Platform Service View. Note that you may also right click, select “Views” and then “NTP Platform Service Editor QNX”.
Use this editor to configure the NTP Platform Service.
The NTP Service is disabled by default.
· Locate the Enabled property and set it to true. See Figure 2.
The NTP Service will not set the local clock by default.
· Locate the Sync Local Clock to NTP property and set it to true. See Figure 2.
NOTE: If an EC-BOSAX running AX-3.4, this property is Use NTP on Server. See Figure 3.
Figure 2 Settings in NtpPlatformServiceQnx (3.5 and later).
Figure 3 NtpPlatformServiceQnx settings (3.4)
There must be at least one NTP Server configured in order for the proper function of the NTP Platform Service.
· Locate the Add button belowthe Settings box and click it to add a server. See Figure 4.
Figure 4 Add button for NTP servers.
Locate the Address text box in the Time Servers section. See Figure 5.
Figure 5 Specify an NTP server.
· Type the hostname/address of the NTP Server with which you wish to synchronize.
The remaining properties may be left at their default values.
The NTP Service will not begin operating until you save the settings you entered.
· Locate the Save button at the bottom of the NTP Platform Service View.
· Click it to initiate a save. See Figure 6.
Figure 6 Save button in Ntp Platform Service Editor.
Once you have saved the NTP Platform Service settings, you are required to reboot your EC-BOSAX in order to begin using NTP to synchronize your clock.
· Locate the Yes button in the dialog, and click it to initiate a reboot. See Figure 7.
Figure 7 Choose Reboot to apply NTP Service settings.
The NTP Service is now enabled on your QNX EC-BOSAX. The EC-BOSAX will now begin using the server that you entered to keep the local clock accurate without your involvement.
· To add additional servers (in case the primary server becomes unavailable), repeat steps 3 (page 5) through step 6 (page 8).
· Setting the Sync Time at Boot property (available AX-3.5 and later) to true will force time synchronization with the configured NTP server(s) at EC-BOSAX boot.
· For more advanced configurations and explanations, please refer to the NTP Platform Service documentation in the Niagara Platform Guide, also in EC-NETAX Help at ord: